Monday, November 15, 2004

Just doing my job.

Thats a very powerful statement if you have to do what you have to do. I use to work security for a hospital and the things i had to deal with i don't think most can stomach. Everything about the job was pretty basic security except for one small detail. Security had to remove the dead from the hospital beds to the morgue for pick up by the funeral home or coroners. Now some people might say man thats not that bad but there is always one thing that people never want to think about but it happens often. Dead babies, this was the only thing i couldn't do to many times because of all the dead bodies i have ever handled, young and old. The babies stay in your head for a long time. Its been 5 years since I've seen a dead baby and it still feels like yesterday. I had one 3 month old baby that died on the arms of her mother overnight. Now the rules when a baby dies under the age of 1 or 2 i don't quite remember but the case gets picked up automatically by homicide and the baby is not allowed to get touched once pronounced dead. This is where the job gets even harder because when the doctor tells the mother there is nothing he can do and you see that mother crying her heart out and going mad and all she wants to do is hold her baby and all i can tell her is "I'm sorry miss but the rules are you can not touch the child" she looks at me like to say what kind of monster are you that you will not let me hold my child but the only response i can give her to keep her from attacking me is "Miss I'm just doing my job". I should of quit the next day but my bank account did not allow me to but by the second one they can keep that job.

No comments: